my AFSB experience

It was a bright sunny morning of 23rd of May 2013. I had already reached Dehradun a day earlier in order to cancel out any probability of me getting late for reporting at the MHO. Now let us begin with the experience. After getting a little cause of nervousness I walked down the road with my bag in casual clothing to the railway station for reporting, the moment I saw the crowd I became more nervous, almost 200 students were there and many wearing formals, now this gave me more hiccups on why I didn’t wear the formals I had bought some days ago for SSB. Anyways now was not the time for me to think about it as there was no time for changing. I talked to a few people there and many of them were my senior according to the degrees they had attained. After giving us a roll no the officials told us to keep our baggage in a truck and board one of the three buses which had come to pick us. As the journey started from the station I talked to a people sitting adjacent to me and they too were my seniors, and had appeared for SSB a few times. We were straight away taken for filling some forms which also had the reimbursement of travelling tickets. After this we were sorted in three groups fresher’s, screened out, conference out. These terms will be explained in detail. But before going forward I want to tell the candidates who are going to appear for any SSB be it army, air force and navy please do take all the required certificates, otherwise you will be sent back straight away even without the reimbursement of travelling tickets.

The procedure was to begin for all the eligible candidates now, and we all were given chest number, mine was 75.  This process is better known as screen in or screen out process. To be very clear if a candidate passes this stage he will be termed as a screened in candidate and will stay and take part in rest of the process. The other thing if the candidate fails to clear this stage he will be termed as a screened out candidate and will not take part in any of the further processes, they will be given the to and fro amount and will be politely sent back. Now Talking about my experience there was some aptitude tests which lasted around for 27 minutes each and just as everyone finished the test we all were sent to some other building after be divided in a group of fifteen each and we were waiting in a AC room when an officer entered the room and introduced himself to us, he was talking about PPDT which many thought was very tough, in this a hazy picture will be shown for thirty seconds and then four minutes to write a story about it in continuation i.e. the picture should look like a timeline of the story you created. As the story writing got over we were instructed to carry the page with us and to stand in a line and wait for GD. As soon as we entered the GD room four officials entered the room along with the marking papers, they instructed to us that the story which we had written earlier was to be discussed here and we had to come to a conclusion at the end. The discussion started as usual with ho halla but somehow I was able to explain my story properly and remained with same view that what I had perceived in the picture was more logical than others rather than saying there logic was totally wrong, we all selected a fellow who was the most vocal of all to summarise the story, this was the point I thought I had missed out, because the conclusion was totally different than my story. We all were instructed to wait near the candidate mess for the results, as the time went by nervousness was at its peak. Briefly after 90 to 100 minutes the results were out and finally I heaved sigh of relief as I was now a screened in candidate. The screened in candidate were given new chest numbers and mine was 12. The selected candidates were made to submit the necessary documents and the cell phones were taken away. We all were given our respective dormitories and as we were busy chatting with each other, we were called to report at the mess. I saw all the plates arranged properly on the tables but to our dismay we were called in to fill our PIQ form which is personal information questionnaire, after filling the form we were informed that the process will start from tomorrow onwards and we were free for today but not allowed to leave the campus.
The dinner was at 7pm and all the lights were closed off at 10pm. Next day we were to report at 7 in the morning for roll count. The pattern for the day was the psych test for all the candidates present. To explain this test I would say it was briefly divided in four parts.
I) Thematic Appreciation Test.
ii) Word Association Test.
iii) Situation Reaction Test.
iv) Self-Description.

Thematic appreciation test is a projection test in which a candidate is shown up a series of picture on that the candidate has to put up his own individual views (stories) i.e. A hazy (unclear) series of 11 + 1 picture are shown to the candidates where the candidate has to write down a story for the picture,
i.e. the picture should look like a timeline of the story you created. The 12th picture is the empty picture in which the candidate has to imagine a situation and write a story according to that. I wrote about one of friend who inspires me the most.

Word Association Test is also one of the projection technique used by the psychologist to find the personality of the candidate. Different type of real life usage words are shown to the candidates by which candidate imagination is shown in his response. Mentally this was one of the toughest test for me, 60 words are shown in a sequence and time given to respond is 15 seconds. the words come by very quickly on the screen and u have to write down the sentence on it and there was a gossip among the students that the sentence should always convey a positive thought.


Situation Reaction Test is followed after the WAT. The time between these tests is of maximum 10 minutes. The give a question paper and a separate answer sheet for our responses. The space given for single answer is 2 to 3 lines only. Basically what I did in this test was I completed the given sentence in a positive manner only.

Self-Description was the last test in the psychological test and also for the day. Self-description is nothing but putting ourself in the view of ourself and in the view of our close ones (parents, teacher, friends). The time given for this test is 15 minutes. I will certainly not give anybody an advice what to write and what not to write coz u know urself better than anybody else so just put yourself up there in the stipulated time.

After this test got over we were served lunch and were allowed to leave the campus for site seeing but had to report back before 7. I decided not to go anywhere and rather enjoy my time in the campus with other candidates.
The day ended rather quickly than expected. Next day was my Group Tasks or Group Testing Officer Tests.

Physically the most tiring test but in terms of enjoyment no task can beat this task, checks your entire level of commitment and leadership. My GTO consisted of these many events..
1. Group Discussion. (G.D) - Indoor Task
2. Group Planning Exercise G.P.E) - Indoor Task
3. Progressive Group Task.(P.G.T) -Outdoor Task
4. Half Group Task.(H.G.T) -Outdoor Task
5. Command Task.(C.T) -Outdoor Task
6. Individual Obstacles(I.O)-Outdoor Task
7. Final Group Task(F.G.T)-Outdoor Task

Group Discussion is a discussion between group of persons about a topic, here there was two GDs for one we had to give the topic from two given topics and the other was some random topic which we had to discuss but the only difference between the PPDT was that here we were not to come at a conclusion. Some say this is one of the moment when your OLQ (officer like quality) is checked.

Group Planning Exercise is a set or problems or critical situations in which the candidate has to put up himself, engage his team or group of friends to find the solution for those problems along with that he/his team should get succeeded in their own problem.
Here a hypothetical situation is given as the G.T.O narrated a set of problems like a small story with a wooden model before us and we were to solve the problem by writing it down on a piece of paper and then discuss with the remaining group and in here we do have to come to a conclusion in the end.

Progressive Group Task is the task that is about set of obstacles in ground in a specified area in that you and your team members should cross each obstacle defined by set of rules. Also while crossing those obstacles we should carry a load. To cross those obstacles, some helping materials are given by the G.T.O. i.e. Balli (wooden log), Plank, and rope to tie these.
This went on for around 45 minutes we had to clear four hurdles but we managed to reach only the third hurdle. I would seriously suggest you that do not take any coaching for ssb it would no longer be and experience and also the G.T.O will clearly see notice because this task was such that someone like me was not able to do anything for around 5 minutes and the person who had a coaching was easily doing things and we were all fresher in ssb they were clearly noticed by the G.T.O, he even pointed out to one of the candidates as “yaha balla patla hai waha pe mota dekhe hoge isliye dikkat horaha hai ” this was more than sufficient to know that sir knew about his coaching by his behaviour then and there.


The Half Group Tasks are conducted after the P.G.T. Since some of the candidates even though getting idea to solve the P.G.T could not able to express his ideas due to communication problem or shy nature. In here the
group is further divided in two groups so that the less active person can somehow prove his worth.

Command Task was similar to the other two tasks but it was to be commanded and done by the individual with the help of two other candidates we call upon from the group. I was called five times i.e five people from the group of ten called me to help them with their task and I was called in at the last of ten.

There are several obstacles with different difficulty level allocated with each marks. The number painted near the obstacles denotes the marks allocated for the obstacles.
The total number of obstacles is 10 and the time limit to cross those obstacles is 3 minutes. The total marks are 55.
i.e. 1+2+3456+7+8+9+10 = 55. What I have heard from the people there that the individual task was really hard, it checked stamina level, the commitment level, the endurance level of our body. I could clear only 6 or 7 of the task in the stipulated time of 3 minutes.

Final Group Task was the last task of all and it was a small task or say one hurdle from the PGT and we cleared it very easily with a loud roar as to express our happiness..

Many people would say why haven’t u explained the task briefly for them my answer would be. Go out there and enjoy the task with out and prior knowledge about the task and see for yourself how much you will enjoy it.

For a change my third day was a free day as my Interview was on the fourth day so kind of rested and went out in the evening to watch a movie.

The fourth and final day arrived in no time and I was one of the seven students who had there interviews on the last day. The clock ticked and people went for their interview, and now came the news that the conference was about to start, I thought I’m yet to appear for my interview and they are starting with the conference. It was already around 30 to 40 minutes since everybody had finished with their interviews, I was panicking all wrong thoughts crossing my mind, have I been debarred, or say anything but one of the repeaters who made me sit in the ante room and calmed me down and talked to me like he was interviewing me to calm me down and just then I was called in for the interview, Oh man!!!! The moment I was sweating badly but somehow used managed to remain calm and entered the room, the moment I was instructed to sit for the interview I literally forgot everything, all those weird feeling about me getting debarred and what not was already out of my mind, I was now enjoy my interview and it was totally a personal interview no general knowledge was involved and not engineering related question was. As soon as I came out I was instructed to meet my batch mates as the conference was about to begin. It started in due time and what we were told was that in conference they don’t take much time. It is only for the whole of the officer team sees the candidate and vice versa. As soon as my number arrived I had to wait for a long time infront of the hall and it made me nervous and I was sweating to such a extent that the person next at the gate of the conference hall asked me whether I ate ate paan,gutka etc or what, that made me laugh a little and then I was called in. The sight it was, just awesome all the officers in there uniform it looked so good that u can only feel about it be proud about it. The President asked about my wellbeing and asked me why would I want to join the IAF etc. somehow again it took more time than expected. As I was coming out a mess bearer told me “bhaiya aapka hojayega” I asked him how can u say that, he replied “jiske bare mein unko aur janna hota hai usi ka etta der chalta hai”. Anyhow I reached the candidate mess and almost everybody said the same thing if ur conference takes more time than expected then there is a possibility of being recommended. In about an hour or so the results were declared with explaining to everybody that this is not the end of the world and they gave the example of Mr. Kalam and Amitabh Bacchan and said even they could not clear it but see how successful they are. As the chest number 12 was announced I was ecstatic, cannot really explain the feelings here by writing.

But as I write it down I meet a friend who has been recommended in a SSB conducted by Navy but was screened out in the next SSB he appeared so I just wanted to say that it does not mean I will qualify again. Even I have to appear for a SSB of Navy soon, and I am equally nervous as a first time candidate is, the only difference is I have and experience which can turn into over confidence also and into better performance also. We will have to wait and watch.

Thank you so much for reading :) 
and I would again say take this as an experience rather than some competition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a short trip to Kasauli (कसौली )

Harmandir Sahib (Temple of God)

“A good snapshot keeps a moment from running away"

वो पल

A trek to KHEERGANGA.....