Dad.....



It  wasn't a great day to travel, flight getting delayed by almost 4hrs and then the heavy rain made it worse for the cab to go on brisk pace. Finally the cab came to a halt. The cab service had improved considerably, i could see the Houseboard hanging on the iron gate, asked the cab driver if the payment was done or not. He answered "haan ma'am aapke paytm se hogaya payment". Shakily i picked my only bag and stepped out, it was only a small bag, i hadn't planned to stay long but as it is the bag seemed heavier than what i had carried to my trip to Europe.

The house looked the same, except the paint had been worn out, the rain cluttered my mind so much that i couldn't think of anything. The door bell was still the same, i wondered if it still worked. I took a moment to hold my nerve, i had never imagined him to be weak. He was always my hero, on his broad shoulders i had seen so many fairs, year after year. I always wondered how he was never tired of carrying me everywhere in my childhood. I took a moment and pressed the bell with a hesitation. i hadn't spoken to him in a while. I didn't approve the guy he chose for me, we had some disagreements and i didn't want to hurt him but then i couldn't agree on this, i couldn't marry someone who i didn't approve of, I said a few things and i am not proud of those things. i knew it pained him the moment i left home and went back to mumbai back to my work place. He never bothered me again for it. 

I was scared, i was petrified, fearful of facing him. The bell was still ringing. It seemed to be an eternity. As the gate opened, i saw his face after three long years, he had grown old, older than i imagined, time had played its trick. wrinkles near his eyes were deeper now, more grey beard than i had imagined, his stern eyes were no longer fearful, he saw me and with a smile he called in "Come on in, Saumya."

The house seemed to be the same as I remembered, just a bit more mismanaged. i would be the one who would put everything in the place. But then i don't mind it now. He came with a towel in his hand and asked for my bag, placed  it in on the iron trunk at the corner after cleaning the drops of water with a cloth.

"You were suppose to come almost six hours ago i thought" He asked me in his faint voice. He had been talking to my husband for sometime now, Mayank had told him i was coming to see him. I thought about telling him about the flight delay and rain, but then i knew it was just an expression for him to start the conversation.

"Mayank must have told you about it?" he asked i nodded simply, i could clearly see the huge part of his hair missing from his scalp, the remaining were way too thin to call it hair.
“Well, he probably told you what happened too, didn't he?”  Mayank had told me about this just yesterday, i was so angry at him for not telling me before.

“I had made lunch for you, but it's cold already. I'll make tea for you and some rusk.” I followed him to the kitchen, dim lights and loads of crockery. It seemed like yesterday, he made such good tea, he had been a master cook all my life.

“How’s the city of dreams and how's your Mayank doing?” He asked as he pulled milk out from the refrigerator.

“The city is not too bad I guess. Could have been better, but Mayank has been fantastic” I admitted, saw him smile for the first time, "I knew you would choose wisely" he answered. I did not tell him about our marriage until sometime. I could smell the tea boiling and the smell was so good and fresh.

“So, How's the retirement going on?” I asked a bit hesitantly as I could. He smiled again and said I heard him let out a soft chuckle behind me, “It’s alright, i go around a bit here and there to keep myself busy"

“So…nothing’s changed in the city except the traffic ?” I asked. "You know it Saumya, your mother's death wasn't easy for me." He stopped stirring the tea in saucepan and said again "She passed away when you were barely two, she left both of us to ourselves, I could only do what i could." He had been omnipresent for my whole life till i vanished. He continued "And then you wanted to move to another city for work, I couldn't handle it, to an extent i was selfish, but you were the only person in my life.... i had to be selfish for you" He had finished the tea and pointed for the rusk jar to me. We walked towards the living room. I was feeling like i had been the worst daughter, but then it was true too.

Just as we finished the tea, I heard as his phone buzzed, he smiled casually as he saw the message. "I told you, i go here and there a bit to keep myself busy" he said with a smile. "Yes, u told that.." i mumbled back.
"I have joined theatre for sometime and today we are performing" He said. "Would you mind coming with me" He asked again. I was awestruck for a while "You are doing theatre?" i asked.
His eyes glittered with happiness  "Yes, i have been trying to learn acting" he said, i remembered he once told how badly he wanted to be an actor.

“You are in the play?” I wanted to be sure. I was utterly dumbfounded, stunned. I was just amazed even with the chemo on, he was so enthusiastic about things.
"Yes, for once in life i wanted to be like you, do things what i like. have been going regularly now" He beamed, "But then are you coming or not?" I just nodded as words won't come easily at that moment. His smile was broader than ever and so were his shoulders, his smile was always contagious.

People talk about stagnancy and here he was defying everything. Doing something he loved so dearly. He had started loving his life as it came, i thought i knew him well enough, but then no. I was proven wrong, he was alive and kicking even with the cancer knocking on his door.

I changed my clothes and he got ready and kept his costume in the bag. As we zipped in our old car, i asked him "Dad, what did the doctor say?" He just gazed around while starting the car and said "The doctor has said it will be ok, the chemo has been effective" he blinked and started off again "And yes i will fight it out, am just stubborn like you" and he smiled.

It was all I wanted to hear... 
As the car started we saw a kid in a car ahead of us, it made us smile at once, reminded me of my old times.


P.S
If you like it, do share it and give ur views. The story as it is a work of fiction. Names, characters, events, places is an imagination used in fictitious manner. Don't relate it to someone you know. But do help someone you know.

But feedback zaruri hai😎😎😎😎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a short trip to Kasauli (कसौली )

Harmandir Sahib (Temple of God)

“A good snapshot keeps a moment from running away"

वो पल

A trek to KHEERGANGA.....